As 2014 comes to an end, The Keane Foundation would like to thank those who have supported, and to update you on work we have done.
In our first full year as “The Keane Foundation” (Formerly “The Billy Keane Foundation”) we expanded both our giving and our fundraising to Georgia. The southern branch, anchored by Karen Keane Smith’s husband Kirk and sister Cindy, held the first annual Karen Keane Smith St. Patrick’s Day party. The event was a huge success, bringing many of Karen’s friends together to celebrate her life, and also to raise money for the foundation. More than 100 people came to the event, with over $10,000 being raised. 2015’s event is already penciled in for March 14th!
Throughout the year, the Southern branch has worked to help our community and families at need. Some of the work includes:
- The Garcia Family of Lansing Michigan – Steve Garcia (a neighbor of The Keane Foundation Supporter Michelle and Aaron Smith) was diagnosed with ALS in August 2014. With the help of many volunteers in his community (known as “Team Garcia”), Steve’s home was modified to accommodate his condition. The Keane Foundation was happy to provide the family with a mechanical lift chair to help make conserve Steve’s energy. The chair was delivered in November, and the family was most appreciative (insert picture)
- Supporting “Forever We” through there “adopt a hospital” program – The Keane Foundation in conjunction with Michelle Foster “adopted” Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, providing 50 specially designed dolls fore girls with cancer. Kirk Smith and Michelle personally met some of the children who have received dolls and were overcome with emotions. at the effect of having a doll that also has your illness had on http://vimeo.com/105440016
The Philadelphia branch of The Keane Foundation also did some great things this past year. In July, we held “The Waterslide Family Bash” in Ocean City that raised over 17,000! With these funds, several Philadelphia Area Families have been supported, including:
- The Koreck Family – Along with the St. Mary Magdalen football team, funds were raised and distributed to help in Claire’s progress.
- The Wilson Family – support from the foundation has helped with daughter Ella’s struggles with neurofibromatosis.
- The Wusinich Family – support from the foundation has helped as their father experiencing a sudden impairment leaving him unable to work.
All told, the Keane Foundation has distributed over half of the money raised in 2014, and are looking for more ways to help in 2015. Our goal is to give the majority of money away before our next fundraising events in the spring and summer of this coming year. If you know of a family that is going through a crises and could use a little help, please contact us or nominate a recipient.
God Bless, and Happy Holidays,
Kirk Smith – Board Member – The Keane Foundation
PS – If anyone is interested in a copy of Karen’s book, “Growing my Soul”, please contact me and I will send one out to you (They sell for $15/book).